[BC] The issue was compatibility...

Burt I. Weiner biwa
Sat Jul 16 14:47:09 CDT 2005

The main issue at the time was compatibility.  While it was necessary at
the time and for the most part is still a necessity there are other
options.  Unfortunately politics and the bottom line get in the way of
science and technology.

PanAmSat had a company Battle Cry that was most appropriate and in my
opinion, still is.

See: http://codinginparadise.org/weblog/2004_09_07_archive.html

Burt

At 01:00 AM 7/16/2005 -0400, you wrote:
> >From: "Phil Alexander" <dynotherm at earthlink.net>
> >Subject: Re: [BC] the Deja VU meter is pegging (was: IBOC)

> >NTSC was not that good compared with what could have been done, but
> >I'm not sure CBS sequential color was that great either. SECAM was
> >probably the best of the day, but it needed too much bandwidth.
>
>Not to beat a dead horse (there was a thread about this with the last
>year), but NTSC was a brilliant piece of engineering that allowed color to
>be broadcast on the same 6 MHz channel as monochrome and that had adequate
>compatibility with existing B&W sets. It was absolutely cutting edge in its
>time for its use of psychovisual knowledge to cut down the required RF
>bandwidth -- an early form of lossy coding. NTSC's basic soundness is
>underlined by the fact that PAL is a relatively minor modification of it
>(and, in fact, the folks who designed NTSC were aware of the possibility of
>a phase-alternation-by-line modification but felt that  ca. 1953 hardware
>couldn't support it at reasonable cost).
>

>Bob Orban

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services
Glendale, California  U.S.A.