[BC] IBOC

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Sat Jul 16 00:49:02 CDT 2005

On 14 Jul 2005 at 13:28, Robert Orban wrote:

> With the current iBiquity licensing structure, I think that mandating
> the system would be politically impossible because it would provide
> iBiquity with a windfall that would outrage the industry. One would
> have to look to a licensing structure like ATSC's, which is perceived
> by most as fair.

Bob,

My fear is the non-mandated mandate. IOW an "open" system where HD is
"pre-approved" and all other methods must offer proof, document and
jump through hoops while doing handsprings to secure approval.

Most of Ibiquity's earnings will flow from receiver licensing, and to
have the HD option onboard, the manufacturers will need to license
each receiver regardless of the number of other open modes their
sets will accommodate. If there is too much hue and cry from
broadcasters, Ibiquity can easily lower the license fee to a nominal
amount once their survival is assured by the receiver income stream.
Who knows, they might even do a partial rebate to some of the late
arrivals who balk at paying $25k. Short term they need to generate
cash flow to satisfy their VC's and the only way they can do that
is trying to stampede as many broadcasters into the Ibiquity corral
as quickly as possible.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037