[BC] the Deja VU meter is pegging (was: IBOC)

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Fri Jul 15 15:16:29 CDT 2005

On 13 Jul 2005 at 20:53, Kevin Tekel wrote:

> Phil Alexander wrote:
> > There are many reasons for moving to digital and we
> > are doing it very late in the game. IBOC is clearly not the best
> > way to make the transition, but it will get us there. Since it is
> > what we have, perhaps we should take advantage of that. It will
> > be gone soon enough and be replaced by real digital anyway.
>
> You sound eerily similar to a proponent of the CBS "spinning disc"
> color TV system, circa 1950....

That's one that can (and has been) argued both ways. Sarnoff got his
way the old fashioned way. He bought it, same a Ibiquity, and CBS was
left behind.

NTSC was not that good compared with what could have been done, but
I'm not sure CBS sequential color was that great either. SECAM was
probably the best of the day, but it needed too much bandwidth.

Now, we have digital TV, and it only took 50 years to get here from
NTSC color. Digital TV on a good monitor is something to see.
OK, I can't wait to hear your argument for analog TV. Go ahead. Let's
hear it. <g>

But, what's your point Kevin?  What part don't you understand when I
say, "IBOC is clearly not the best way to make the transition, but it
will get us there."  This is a done deal. Time to stop whining and
start working to make it work.

You, like the rest of us, will get what the FCC gives. The only
difference is we have to make it work. You, OTOH, have the luxury
of listening, or not listening, as you choose.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037