[BC] HD Time Hacks

Paul Christensen attorney
Fri Jul 15 11:00:03 CDT 2005

> WBBM's time tones on the hour and 1/2-hour are running about 8 seconds
> late this morning, which I guess must be related to their reported HD
> startup.

Good catch, Rich.  I've gotta' believe WBBM is using a GPS-based master
clock these days.  Many GPS clocks allow for a user-defined offset which
offsets local or UTC time from GPS time.   In order to hit the breaks at the
correct real time and avoid other similar problems, it would first seem that
the studio master clock is the place to make the compensation, including the
sync for the top of the hour tone.   In essence, they're operating 8-10
seconds ahead of real-time.   But...

If WBBM joins CBS network news at the top of the hour, the network and the
facility master clock are off by the amount of the HD time offset and they
join the network 8-10 seconds ahead of where they need to be.   Perhaps
either Tom or Kerry at WOR could offer some input on how they deal with the
time dilemma?  It may be that the only viable solution at the moment is to
let listeners be late by a few seconds and just live with it.

-Paul

Paul Christensen, CPBE
LAW OFFICE OF PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills,  Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802   Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org