[BC] Re: TV Network Audio

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp
Fri Jul 15 03:23:05 CDT 2005

[Hultsman quoting Adams:]

>>...do any of you buckeroo's or buckerette's  remember when the networks
>>went from the poor 8kc loops (at best) to  better multiplexed audio even
>>before satellites?
>
>That was when the regular networks switched to the video imbedded audio as
>PBS had done to get the NPR radio network going.   I remember locally when
>the Johnny Carson theme was played...

When Carson was still in NYC, the audio here at almost the far end of the
network was awful, even unintelligible at times.

Early one morn in the late sixties, a space launch was scrubbed
unexpectedly, and we were treated to half an hour of undelayed network
schedule feed (a "Beverly Hillbillies" rerun). It was quite ghosty and also
had nearly-unintelligible audio. Three hours later, the same episode
appeared again, sharp and clear as usual.

I then realized that most of what we saw in the Northwest originated in Los
Angeles from separate copies of tape and film shown the same day in the
East, shipped one way or the other in advance, similarly to how Hawaii was
served.

But the other same-day, tape-delayed network programs we saw (news, Today
Show, etc.) were not so obviously degraded as Carson. They must have been
engineered to compensate for the cross-country haul: simple sound, plain,
highly-lighted sets, and restricted motion.

(Trivia Q. What city was the furthest in circuit-miles from NY? Hint:
A'ways east of us.)