[BC] IBOC

Scott Cason scott
Thu Jul 14 09:49:43 CDT 2005

>>No one has convinced me that digital radio on AM is necessarily
inevitable.

As long as there is no authorized night time service, how can it be?  That's
something I really don't understand.  The "big" broadcasters are flocking to
IBOC like it's the best thing since Tivo.....oops, I meant sliced bread.
Tivo is the best thing since sliced bread, but I digress.  The corporate
broadcasters are trying to beat everyone else with the IBOC rollout, and
they have to turn it off at night on their AM stations!  Sup wid dat?  I'm
spending millions to put this system on the air, but I have to turn it off
at sundown?   I would think that the corporate broadcasters, who are very
good at watching where the money goes and also good at getting the best ROI
for the dollar would be shunning this like a Florida fan who just wondered
into Sanford Stadium.

What I find real funny is the RBDS issue.  I tried convincing a few owners
in Georgia that this had enormous promotional potential.  Just put the RBDS
on the air, let's interface it to the automation, EAS machines and a spare
computer in the control room and see what happens.  They were not
interested.  Now, folks are trying to get RDS on the air faster than IBOC.
<insert eyeroll>

Scott Cason
President
LaGrange Communications, LLC