[BC] IBOC

Scott Cason scott
Thu Jul 14 09:22:16 CDT 2005

>>It's been explained over and over by many, including yourself, Tom
Ray and several others, but those who won't listen will never
understand.

I'm listening.  And I have been trying to understand.  But I still don't get
it.  It keeps coming across to me that we need to broadcast digital to
broadcast digital.  Now, if it were the case like satellite was a few years
ago when DATS and SEDATS came out and that was to decrease channel size to
accommodate more channels, I can understand that.  Of if it was because
analog sounded so bad we needed to improve fidelity, I could understand
that, too.  Or if it was the case of being able to reduce TPO and keep or
improve current market coverage like TV will be able to do, I can justify
it.  But I'm not seeing any of that.  One argument I have heard over and
over is that stations will be able to stream different programming on the
same main channel.  Hell, most operators are doing good to "stream" one
analog channel.  What are they gonna do with four more?  What are TV
programmers doing with multiple streams?  Putting their weather radar on
one, main channel on another and the other two are dark, except the
pubcasters.

I'm not normally this "dense".  But in this case, I'm not seeing what all
the frenzy is over.  Set a standard, supply the equipment then let the
broadcasters decide when (if) they want to broadcast IBOC.

Scott Cason
President
LaGrange Communications, LLC
502-213-0024