[BC] RE: IBOC

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Thu Jul 14 03:37:58 CDT 2005

Oh YEAH!

That 96K perceptual coding produces a great sound in stereo!

Or even better - the 32K coding used for AM...WOW!

Why not try listening to "Baba O Riley" By the Who (from Who's Next) with this
kind of coding. Can you hear the 'nuance' of the alising in Pete Townshend's
voice that makes him sound like he's gargling with marbles as he sings? It
doesn't sound like that on the CD. Didn't sound that way on vinyl either! Why,
even the lowly cassette of this classic 1971 album sounds better then IBOC
coding of it!

Quite frankly, I'll take a bit of hiss and static added to my music over a
system that 'removes' over 95% of it any day!

I guess that makes me a Luddite....RIGHT??

But at least I'm a Luddite with decent HEARING!!

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: Michael Dinger <mike at mikedinger.us>
To: Broadcast at radiolists.netCc:
Subject: [BC] RE: IBOC

On why they just didn't open up a new piece of spectrum:

As I understand it, the FCC proposed just such a solution about 15 years
ago.  It was soundly shot down by the NAB and certain owners of large
AM's.  Reason:  It would have put all stations on equal footing for
coverage.  So if you are the owner of a big 50 kw AM for example, you
would have a lot of new competition.  "why should the little peanut
whistle on a graveyard AM frequency get the same as us!"  The slice of
spectrum proposed for this was the 2.3GHz band.  Guess what is there
now?  Isn't it something called XM and Sirius????

On IBOC in general:

The fact is blatantly obvious that a number on this list are dead set
against it.  My view is this:  We may be getting asked to make the
proverbial silk purse out of a sows ear, but it is our job as engineers
to find a way to do it.  I had the honor of lighting up the very first
HD station in my company (WSSR FM) Memorial Day weekend and will do
another late next month (WERV FM), and even I am impressed with the
difference.  The first thing you notice is how hampered we have been for
the last 50+ years with a 75 us pre-emphasis curve and how each detail
and nuance comes through.  (for better or worse!  I discovered a high
pitch whistle in the STL that was masked by analog.)  To make it an
event for the staff, I asked the PD of the station involved to come out
and "push the button".  He was thrilled to be involved!

I have been listening heavy to WBBM in HD the last couple of days, and
the improvement even on an all news format is nothing short of
astounding.  The voices are much more intelligible and you can almost
discern which actuality cuts were recorded on different machines!  The
other AM HD in the market that I have a probability of listening to,
WRLL 1690, still has a bit of work to do to get their audio right.
Granted the just turned it on, but it almost sounds like they are
feeding the NRSC pre-emphasized audio into the HD channel.  The station
format is oldies and I'm sure when they are done with all of the
tweaking it will be a great sounding HD channel.  (Not to take away
anything from the other HD AM in the market, WRTO.  But it is a
Univision station and I don't know Spanish!)

In short my thing is this, Stop bitching about how bad it is and find a
way to make it work.  We are engineers aren't we?  We should
collectively be able to  McGuyver something together that would benefit
all and not just moan about what we are handed.

Oh, and to those that bitch about an annual license fee, unless you are
reading a different Ibiquity license than I am, there is NO ANNUAL FEE
for the main channel.  Only for the secondary channels and data services
and those are waived through the end of this year.  It is a 3% royalty
on the gross revenue of those services.  Simple way around that, just
don't charge for them.  Run them as a value added to your main channel.
(ex: promo on main channel, "Keeping you up to date, continuous weather
and traffic on WXYZ-HD3...")

Michael Dinger
Chief Engineer
Next Media