[BC] Weirdo dials /was/ ABC Network in the wired days

Alan Kline akline
Thu Jul 14 00:07:47 CDT 2005

Wow...

As a faithful listener of Wally's for many years, starting in junior high
(I was the weird kid who didn't listen to WLS...) that just seems to
unreal to believe that those bits came off disks.  It's hard enough to
envision a board engineer loading carts in a flash to play those bits.
Those guys on the board earned their bucks--I can't remember any kind of
error in playing those bits, or anything else for that matter...Bob
Collins had enough fluffs reading live copy to make up for it!  (RIP,
Uncle Bobby...)

Wonder if any of those ET's are still kicking around somewhere inside
Tribune Tower?

And I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that, AFAIK, WGN was
among the last stations to employ record-turners under an AFM contract?
Or would ET's have been played by the engineer?

ak