[BC] Weirdo dials /was/ ABC Network in the wired days

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo
Wed Jul 13 17:50:21 CDT 2005

i have news for you Al, up into the 1980s WGN was cutting transcription
disks because Wally Phillips's show used them (that was how they inserted
the little voiced sound bites he would ad lib with which were his trademark,
in a day before PCs with MP3 files on hard disks).  He brought in so much
revenue they didn't mind spending the money on it, which was a lot.

Rob Atkinson

From: Al Stewart <stewarta at kootenay.com>
Subject: Re: [BC] Weirdo dials /was/ ABC Network in the wired days
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:05:19 -0700

That late? 1976. By 1964, or before, we were using Carts and reel-to-reel
tape. A few commercials and public service announcements came in on disc of
some kind.

Al

------ At 02:35 PM 07/13/2005 -0600, Mark Durenberger wrote: -------

 >At WCCO we switched between two 16-inch RCA tone arms; one with the stereo
stylus and the other with a 3-mil mono stylus for playing the "ETs".  (Until
approx 1976, ALL commercials, promos, themes etc were cut on 33 1/3 acetate,
using a cold stylus.)

<dynotherm at earthlink.net>

http://www.radiolists.net/

 >--