[BC] IBOC

Scott Cason scott
Wed Jul 13 11:55:41 CDT 2005

>>So, you *would* make an exception for the "Mom and Pops?"

No, I'm saying that there are stations out there doing just fine without
IBOC.  The suits are trying to get everyone into the state of mind that IBOC
MUST be on the air and it MUST be on the air now.  I don't understand the
push, except to make a much money as possible in the shortest amount of time
before people figure out what's going on.  I also think, that on AM at
least, there's gonna be a huge train wreck once stations are allowed to keep
the IBOC signal on at night.  IF, they are ever allowed to turn them on at
night.  What's gonna happen to KOA in Denver, WHAS in Louisville and WCCO in
Minneapolis when all three stations are allowed to keep their IBOC signals
on the air at night?  All three of them are 50kW unlimited, non-directional,
Class A AM stations on adjacent channels from each other.  When KOA and WCCO
get their nighttime permission, what's that gonna do to WHAS, when there are
two signals on their analog signal?  I'm afraid a lot of people have jumped
on this without following through on the ramifications of it.  What if
nighttime IBOC is never authorized?  Why would I spend the money on a system
I could only use for half of my broadcast day?  If you can't tell, I'm very,
VERY skeptical of the Ibiquity system.

Scott Cason
President
LaGrange Communications, LLC