[BC] A Change of Topic on Network News Feeds

Jeff Allen jallen
Tue Jul 12 12:28:57 CDT 2005

Satellite around 1983 or so where I lived.  I still remember how weird the
news anchors sounded after the change over to the bird.  I was used to that
awful telephone quality sound for so long on the radio network news.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allen Sherrill" <asherrill at journalbroadcastgroup.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:12 AM
Subject: RE: [BC] A Change of Topic on Network News Feeds

>Just as a cot, do any of you buckeroo's or buckerette's remember when the
>networks went from the poor 8kc loops (at best) to better multiplexed audio
>even before satellites?  It seems to me to have happened about 1974-75 in
>our part of the country.  Suddenly the audio came alive on network feeds.

>I was living in a little town at the time and noticed that this was both on
>radio and on TV feeds.  Perhaps it was just a regional thing, but I do not
>remember it that way.  Seems like a major upgrade and the newspapers had
>stories about it.

>Stanley Adams
>Memphis

I recall it happened in the spring of 1977 where I lived (eastern NC).

Even though TV audio was usually pretty crappy anyway in the small market
where I lived, the change was quite noticeable to me.  Before the change, I
could tell when the local affiliates were running network or local
programming, even without looking at the TV.  Suddenly the network audio had
high end that wasn't there before.

Allen Sherrill

(obnoxious, ineffective and useless e-mail legal disclaimer follows)

The information contained in this communication may be confidential or
legally privileged and is intended only for the recipient named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
communication or its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please immediately advise the sender and delete
the original and any copies from your computer system.