[BC] Re: Audio delay on telephone Lines

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Mon Jul 11 19:31:41 CDT 2005

In a message dated 7/11/2005 5:51:44 PM Central Standard Time,
broadcast-request at radiolists.net writes:

I know  that various forms of coax have different delay factors... what's the

delay factor of twisted pair at audio freq's? Still, to attain 4 seconds,
that's amazing! It would take 744,000 miles in free space to get that much
delay.
I don't imagine the distribution amps added much, did  they?

Willie...

Before the days of Satellite.  The was alot of delay in the telephone  lines
and the number of amplifiers between the major network  centers.    I used to
work football games that fed to Detriot the  went to New York where the
network was fed.  All via network 5 kHz.  lines.  Our talent would only use their
headphones off the return monitor  feed when they had to talk back and forth on
interviews or to do a remote  interview.   The delay was enough that it could
be annoying to  talent.  I many time monitored for commercial cues etc.  But I
would  assume that it was a second or two.

Dave