[BC] All-American Five... and more

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Mon Jul 11 12:04:51 CDT 2005

On 11 Jul 2005 at 9:18, Jim Wood, C.P.E.W. wrote:

> I vaguely recall from TV repair shop days that one side of
> the AC line cord was not connected directly to the chassis
> of these sets; rather, it was bussed around from point to point
> and then taken to the chassis through a 1 meg resistor, bridged
> by a .05µF cap.  Can anyone verify or clarify?

This was true in some sets, but others had all plastic cabinets
with plastic knobs and the buss was the chassis. The ones I
recall had nylon inserts in the chassis acting as an anchor and
insulator for screws in the bottom similar to sheet metal screws.
If you worked on those on the bench and didn't plug the cord in
right, they would bite. Also, never turn one off, always pull the
plug because many of them switched AC on the ground side. Ouch!

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037