[BC] Can traditional AM and IBOC co-exist?

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Mon Jul 11 11:30:51 CDT 2005

On 11 Jul 2005 at 11:02, Chuck Dube wrote:

> Hi Phil-
>
> Interesting discussion. Why is it that x-banders also tend to work with
> shorter
> towers? One would think that given the wavelength, they'd want to utilize
> the benefit of a shorter structure inherently. Call me naive- I'm very
> curious!

OK, the ones I'm familiar with are short, but the sample is too small. <g>

Open mouth insert foot. Looking over the list of stations in the X-band,
there are some electrically tall towers there. In fact, there are quite
a few that are too tall. This is probably a function of using an existing
90 or 112 degree tower from the old frequency. If a Class D on an old
Class II is moving up from below 900 kHz and they use their existing tower,
that would put them up around 160 - 175 degrees. However, if they want to
eliminate lighting, they will be around 120 deg or less. The capital cost
conscious building new towers are probably the ones using 85 - 120 degrees.

Interesting. I hadn't considered what would happen to a low end station
moving to X-band with the existing tower. It appears some of them have done
that. Many of the old towers are 40 - 60 years old and far from current code.
Thus I was thinking in terms of cost and eliminating tower lights on a new
structure.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037