[BC] Can traditional AM and IBOC co-exist?

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Sun Jul 10 22:51:28 CDT 2005

My former boss used to be G.M. of WCBS-AM. He told me he would have sold his
soul to have the signal that WINS has in Manhattan.

Yes, 880 has a great signal in Texas, but it doesn't do well at all
penetrating the concrete and steel jungle of NYC.

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: "Phil Alexander" <dynotherm at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re:  Re: [BC] Can traditional AM and IBOC co-exist?

On 10 Jul 2005 at 21:34, PeterH5322 at aol.com wrote:

> Any 21st century allocation scheme should take into account the realities
> of the movement West, and should toss into the toilet whatever sweetheart
> deals were made in the 1920s, and which gave 21 of the 25 U.S. Class I-As
> to eastern cities (and 23 of the 25 to cities east of the Rocky
> Mountains).

It's a good point you are making, but when those allocations were made,
the eastern cities were where the population was, or where the pioneers
of the business started stations.

Chicago was the second largest city in the country at the time.

If we are truly going to make good use of spectrum, there are quite a few
channels that are going obsolete in the marine and aviation bands and
have few prospects for future use. Their coverage is excellent and
expanding the band downward to relieve overcrowding and perhaps have
a national infrastructure of clears again might be worth considering.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037