[BC] Re: My prediction for the future

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Sun Jul 10 20:59:59 CDT 2005

On 10 Jul 2005 at 18:17, R J Carpenter wrote:

> Drawing ANY comparison between government-mandated changes in
> automobile and conversion of "AM" to full-digital is EXTREMELY FLAWED.
>
> The changes in automobiles haven't resulted in old cars of any age
> being made utterly useless.

How about the number of cars designed for leaded fuel that were hauled
to the junkyard years before their time because they didn't tolerate
the substitute or couldn't pass emissions standards in some states?

> Ending the transition period and going all-digital would do that to
> all old radios.

If there is a demand, there will be converters just as there were when
FM made its appearance. For example, the Pilot tuner turned and AM into
an AM/FM set. Same for UHF TV in areas that had only U's before the
tuner mandate.

> Will MW radio survive the transition to all-digital?  I suppose so,
> but it will have lost all the old people (who aren't a demographic
> of interest to sponsors in any case).

Too true, but we buy less as we get older, and it is a commercial
world in which we live. I don't think that is going to change. I've
seen it go the other way during my lifetime. :-(

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037