[BC] All American Five

DANA PUOPOLO dpuopolo
Sat Jul 9 15:15:00 CDT 2005

Yep...and the 35 volt rectifier had a 6.3 volt tap on its filament for a pilot
lamp.

-D

------ Original Message ------
From: "khcs at juno.com" <khcs at juno.com>
To: broadcast at radiolists.net
Subject: Re: [BC] All American Five

David guessed:

>Five tube radio with series strung filaments that could be powered
directly from 120 Volts?

-----------

Bingo!  Give that man a (chocolate) cigar!  A 35-volt rectifier, 50-volt audio
output, and 3 other tubes (converter, IF, detector IIRC) with 12-volt
filaments adding up to (hang on, I gotta take off my socks for this one) --
121 volts!  The interesting thing about these sets was that one side of the AC
cord went directly to the chassis.  And since this was in the days before
polarized plugs were invented (and not long after the discovery of fire) it
was possible for them to be potentially lethal.

Glen Kippel
KHCS
Palm Desert, CA