[BC] All American Five

khcs@juno.com khcs
Sat Jul 9 10:42:35 CDT 2005

David guessed:

>Five tube radio with series strung filaments that could be powered
directly from 120 Volts?

Bingo!  Give that man a (chocolate) cigar!  A 35-volt rectifier, 50-volt audio output, and 3 other tubes (converter, IF, detector IIRC) with 12-volt filaments adding up to (hang on, I gotta take off my socks for this one) -- 121 volts!  The interesting thing about these sets was that one side of the AC cord went directly to the chassis.  And since this was in the days before polarized plugs were invented (and not long after the discovery of fire) it was possible for them to be potentially lethal.

Glen Kippel
KHCS
Palm Desert, CA