[BC] Gas Prices

Mike McCarthy Towers
Sat Jul 9 10:07:48 CDT 2005

We're seriously considering a Prius for our personal car. We've driven them
a few times as rentals and averaged 45MPG. Not a bad car.

I'm waiting for the 2007 model year cars to come with the European diesel
engines which net 40 MPG and have some real GO. Mecerdes and VW both have
screamer turbo diesels which run on low sulfer fuel and get 40 MPG.  I seem
to recall hearing that SAAB and Volvo also are developing high performance
diesels as well.

Right now is not the best time to buy a diesel as the manufacturers have
nothing new in anticipation of the new fuel rules which go into effect Jan
1., 2007.  After that, expect to see a flood of diesel models coming
forward from companies which have serious European connections.  Like
Chrysler.  If fuel prices stay this high AND the companies can show the
diesels with pizzaz and good fuel economy, expect them to lead off the lots.

I have yet to hear a peep from Ford or GM on any domestic high performance
diesels for vehicles however. Everything is gasoline. The Duramax engine is
a great engine.  But they can't produce them fast enough and the plan
doesn't have them going into anything but the HD  trucks.  So that means
the Suburban/Yukon class vehicle (built on the same platform as the 1500
series truck) won't have the advantage which Ford has on their Excursion
which has the Powerstroke engine.

MM