[BC] All American Five

gRAdy Moates lists
Sat Jul 9 09:42:39 CDT 2005

> Phil Alexander wrote:
>>Yup! Two of the tubes were nearly always 35W4 (rectifier) and 50C5
>>(audio output).
>>
>>Working on one with the plug in backward could be interesting.
>

> Good ol' "hot chassis" radios.  And they always switched the ground
> side so even if you plugged it in the "right" way, the chassis was hot
> when the radio was off.

My first transmitter was (at age 11) a Knight-Kit "Radio Broadcaster-
Amplifier" with two 50C5's (modulator & RFPA) and a 12AX7 (mic
preamp).

We lived on a concrete slab-on-grade house.  Plug it in the wall one
way, and I got shocked with it on.  Plug it in the other way, and I got
shocked with it off.

Didn't take long for me to just mark the plug for polarity and use the
plug for a switch.

Yeah, I could still learn something when I was 11, if the pain level was
high enough.  Now, " Ain't no pain strong enuf to larn me nothin'. "

Grady