[BC] Re: wRIST RADIOS

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Sat Jul 9 00:08:34 CDT 2005

On 8 Jul 2005 at 17:38, DHultsman5 at aol.com wrote:

> Phil:
>
> I rmember the Dick Tracy comics.   We we are about there in cell  phones. I
> see people in airports with those wireless earpieces to the  telephone in a
> holder on their belt about 1-1/2" by 2-1/2".
>
>   I remember when Motorola came out with their two piece HT in the the  '60's
>  and their advertising to police communications magazines was that  you could
> have two way commications like Dick Tracy with only a earpiece and a  throat
> mike.   Of course there was a belt around your chest with a  transmitter under
> your right arm and a receiver under your left arm.

Then there was the famous, or should I say infamous Handi-Talkie that came
before that. The ones with the little Raytheon sub-sub-mini tubes like were
used in some hearing aids. Most of the weight was in the battery pack and
then they were only good for a few hours on receive, not to mention the
fact that the Tx wouldn't hold tuning after a week or two rattling around
in the trunk of a squad.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037