[BC] Hertz

Mario Hieb, P.E. mario
Fri Jul 8 21:09:05 CDT 2005

Actually, James Clerk Maxwell predicted the existence of radio waves and
described them precisely. His contemporaries thought he was nuts, and he
died relatively young. Einstein called Maxwell the greatest scientific mind
of the 19th century.

Hertz did the first lab experiments many years later and confirmed
Maxwell's theory.

A "Maxwell" is a unit of magnetic field density: Gauss/square centimeter.
Pretty obscure.

Mario

At 11:53 AM 7/6/2005, you wrote:

>Message: 18
>Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 11:52:42 -0400
>From: "Hershberger, Dave" <DHershberger at axcera.com>
>Subject: RE: [BC] To Hz or not to Hz? (WAS:WLW--500 kW?)
>

> > Curious... why deny credit to Heinrich Hertz, who discovered
> > these "Hertzian
> > Waves", by not using his name as the designator for
> > frequency? It's considered
> > standard nomenclature. Why the "rebellion"?
> >
> > Willie...
> >

>Many years ago I read a delightful tongue-in-cheek essay about the
>megahertz/megacycle controversy. The author suggested that since Hertz
>basically abandoned his research on wireless after discovering the
>phenomenon, that the honor should instead go to Charles Proteus Steinmetz, a
>brilliant electrical engineer who worked with AC systems. The suggested
>abbreviation for the unit of frequency would be "CPS," Steinmetz's initials.
>A megacycle would be a MCPS, a kilocycle a KCPS, etc.
>
>I am glad to see that John V. is honoring Steinmetz in this way. :)
>
>Dave Hershberger
>Principal Engineer
>AXCERA
>Tel: 530-272-HDTV (4388)
>Fax: 530-272-4505
>dhershberger at axcera.com <mailto:dhershberger at axcera.com>
>AXCERA. Axcessing the new era of digital communications. www.axcera.com
>960 McCourtney Road, Suite C, Grass Valley, CA 95949-7423

Mario Hieb, P.E.
Consulting Engineer

36 H St. #2
Salt Lake City, UT 84103