[BC] Re: Police Calls above broadcast

DHultsman5@aol.com DHultsman5
Fri Jul 8 12:38:27 CDT 2005

In a message dated 7/8/2005

>  Harold noted:
>
> >As a kid in the Berkekey area, I listened  to the Los Angeles police
> somewhere around that frequency...
>
> -------------
>
> Yes, if you find an old radio with  shortwave, it may show
> frequencies just above the old MW band for  "police calls".
> Around 1606 kc/s, IIRC.  The nthey moved  to the 26-mc/s band,
> to VHF (our CHP still uses freqs around 40 MHz),  the 150-MHz
> area, and now 800-MHz trunked systems.
>

> Glen Kippel
> KHCS
> Palm Desert,  CA

When I worked for the city of Dallas we operated an old Western Electric 1
kW. on 1714 kHz. with the call letters KKB-364.  It was left over from the  old
AM days of cars being on 35 mHz. AM and talk out being on 1714kHz.AM. They
used it mainly for paging warrant servers and they used their regular car AM
radios.

Glen you mentioned 1606 kHz.  that was an RPU frequency, as I recall  there
were three of them, AM frequencies above the broadcast band.  WKY in  Oklahoma
City used to have a Flexible bus with remote studios before the FM days  and
used a 250 Watt broadcast transmitter on 1606 kHz. to relay audio from the  bus
to their studios.

Before Martis, many RPU's were AM on 26 mHz.  WRR in Dallas had a  Globe King
500 Watt base station on 26 mHz. many years ago. WRR later on  converted to
26 mHz. FM with modified Motorolas.  WRR was the first user of  Marti Equipment
in Dallas.

KNUZ AM in Houston, Ed Martin had a 100 Watt transmitter on 1606 kHz.
feeding a slant wire on his 1230 AM tower for employee paging and calling.   They
adjusted the trimmer on the car radios to pickup 1606 kHz.  They also  had a
station in Beaumont and the would feed commercials and news feeds to them  over
that AM RPU channel.

Darryl Parker now @ TFT told me that they were once  looking into  using
those AM frequencies above the broadcast band with the old Heathkit SSB
transcievers so they could communicate wth their Texas State Network key  stations from
Fort Worth to Austin to Houston. A 100 watts SSB would probably do  a great
job.

Old memories.

Dave Hultsman