[BC] Cycles don't Hurt...

Burt I. Weiner biwa
Fri Jul 8 09:59:30 CDT 2005

I agree that a honorarium is a nice thing but it has always struck me as
odd to change cycle/s to Hertz.  After all, the wave goes through cycles
not Hertz(es).  Someday we'll have to get use to watching the news on the
Zworykin and not the telee.

Burt

Tesla is already a term used in measuring very strong magnetic fields.

At 10:12 AM 7/8/2005 -0400, you wrote:
> > jvodenik at sosinet.net writes:
> >
> > > I don't buy into this MHz and KHz stuff...it's still Kc and Mc for me.
> > >  Kinda like politically correct, thank goodness I'm NOT.
> >
> > Curious... why deny credit to Heinrich Hertz, who discovered these
> "Hertzian
> > Waves", by not using his name as the designator for frequency? It's
> considered
> > standard nomenclature. Why the "rebellion"?
>
>Naming cycles "Hertz" has no logical connection with RF or radiated energy
>cycles. Please tell me how the Hertz dipole experiment relates to AC utility
>power. If a name had to be applied to the humble number of alternations per
>unit of time, Tesla would have made far more sense because his
>experimentations
>included not only electrical cycles but mechanical resonance as well. He's
>also
>probably the only person who totally understood AC in all its forms from the
>lowest to highest frequency. So Hertz gets cycles while Tesla is relegated
>to the SI version of Gauss. Go figure.
>

>Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
>Broadcast Engineering Services and Technology
>(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
>Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services