[BC] Our wild, TECH youth (WAS:...old TVs go.)

SHAFFER, RANDY L RandyShaffer
Fri Jul 8 00:10:58 CDT 2005

Willie wrote -
>I said "Hi, Sue!" and she just about jumped out of her skin! He laughed
>hysterically, and I explained to her what we were doing via the radio. We all
>had a good laugh. (I wonder how many, if any, other people heard those
>broadcasts!)

>That was back in the late 70's, early 80's, so thankfully, the Statute of
>Limitations has long ago expired on that stuff! Heh heh!

I take it you didn't have any QSL requests? ;)

That would have been really cool to have a station like that. Our middle school had a Lafayette
AM transmitter which had been slightly modified. I wanted to take it home for the summer, but the advisor wouldn't allow it. They lost the transmitter that year. They would have been better off if I had taken it, at least they would have had it the next year.

We lived on a dead end street surrounded by farm fields. We did try LPFM at well under a half watt, but it only got to the end of the street, about the same distance as the PA system.
By the time I was 15, I was in the Susquehanna Radio Explorer Post, so my experiments ended at that point. Nothing like the real thing.

Randy Shaffer
Harrisburg, PA