[BC] Where old TVs go...

SHAFFER, RANDY L RandyShaffer
Thu Jul 7 21:21:39 CDT 2005

Willie wrote -
(snip)
>Oh, most definately! I remember back as far as when I was 7, taking a pair of
>pliers with me, walking around the neighborhood looking for "curbside
>specials" and taking the speakers out of them. I had a fascination with speakers when
>I was little... couldn't get enough of 'em, and hooked 'em up to whatever
>radios I could get at! Invariably, though, they'd fall off the bed, dresser, etc,
>and get torn... then it was back to hunting for new ones!

Yeah Willie I did the same thing when I was a little older, except I would gut the components out of found table radios except for the speaker. I would then "plant" radio cases with the speakers in the hedges across the front of my parents house and in the yard next door. It was my first radio station. I ran it out of the basement, driven by tube amps from cast off record players. I'd do "remotes" out of the garage. The kids in the neighborhood liked it. Of course once fall hit, the cases stuck out like a sore thumb and my mom would complain until I removed them. I'd take the system out after Halloween when I'd use the system to scare kids by playing sound effects.

Randy Shaffer
Harrisburg, PA