[BC] Federal premption - was Pirates...Aaarghh!

Gary Peterson kzerocx
Thu Jul 7 09:50:41 CDT 2005

George - It was my understanding that this tower was near Watertown.  Would
you care to give us some background on this?  And, if you were
involved...kudos!

I remember having to locate a 500 ft. tower beyond a considerable (~ 1/2
mile) perpendicular distance from U.S. Highway 16, because, according to the
SDAC, "it was an emergency landing strip."  This section of highway has a
tremendous amount of traffic to, and from, Mt. Rushmore and is cris-crossed
with power lines.  I suspect anyone other than an expert pilot in a stunt
plane could land there without cutting the aircraft to ribbons or killing a
bunch of tourists.  I don't think anyone with that level of expertise would
be bothered by a tower 1000 feet away.  But, they (state bureaucrats) stuck
to their guns.

Gary, K?CX

" Gary - Was that tower in the Watertown area?  If it is, I might have had
something to do with that.

gn "