[BC] then and now

Ron Castro ronc
Thu Jul 7 00:12:20 CDT 2005

Clive---Of course they didn't have electromagnetic signals in 1789, but
that's exactly the point.  Newspapers have always had unmitigated freedom to
promote any political candidate or cause they want, to run as many ads at
any price, to refuse ads from any candidate, operate in defiance of
monopoly/anti-trust laws, engage in any kind of obscenity but we in radio
and TV don't.  The basis for this, and for a lot of other really bad
legislation, some of which has been repealed, are Supreme Court rulings that
say broadcasters don't have any claim to the same Constitutional freedoms as
newspapers since we were not specifically included, nor has the nation
chosen to amend the Constitution to include us.

A "constructionist" is one who interprets the Constitution precisely as it
was written, not trying to 'read between the lines' to twist or divine
meanings that are not there and never were intended by the founders.

As for the UN, they have zero authority in the US, since we are a sovereign
nation and our Constitution specifically forbids any treaty with a foreign
entity that is not voted on and approved by the US Senate.  The Senate never
gave the UN authority over our citizens or over communications within our
borders.  While we subscribe to the ITU and are members of the UN, nothing
they decide has any relevance unless ratified by the Senate.

The Constitution gave Congress the right to regulate anything and everything
involving communications under the Interstate Commerce Clause, and by way of
that, the Communications Acts of 1927, 1934 and 1996 passed.  Numerous court
challenges over the decades have never changed basic tenant that the federal
government has the right to determine who gets a broadcast license and who
doesn't.

As for the spectrum being reserved for the "privileged elite"...hardly!  I
have ownership in 20 radio stations, all licensed by the FCC, yet my parents
weren't rich, my grandparents were poor people from Spain and I never
attended an Ivy League college.  I started as a $2 an hour overnight DJ and
worked my way up to where I am today.  Not only that, anyone can use the
Citizens Band for their 'free speech'

Ron Castro
Chief Technical Officer
Results Radio, LLC