[BC] Where old TVs go...

SHAFFER, RANDY L RandyShaffer
Wed Jul 6 22:25:33 CDT 2005

Tom wrote-

>When I went off to college in the summer of '73 I made numerous trips to
>the dumps, depositing 27 TV sets of all manufacture and size, all 100%
>working! These were TV's I rescued from the dumps, throw aways, etc. I
>fixed them all. I left a note saying free and working.

>To discharge a CRT, use a hammer to break the small plastic key in on the
>rear of the tube. Then smash the small glass nipple. The tube will implode
>slowly and safely. On some screens you will see a large clear spot where
>the inrush of air wore away the coating.

Thanks for the instructions.
Some people like to whack at them hard causing the quick inrush you described. I had a bad experience with a large color tube when the neck fractured too low.  After that, I decided to treat them more gently. I pull off the plastic tube socket and tap the glass until I hear the air starting to enter and then tap it just a little more. There is less glass to clean up that way too.

Randy Shaffer
Harrisburg, PA