[BC] AM tower collapse 7/3/05 (WCTN)

R J Carpenter rcarpen
Wed Jul 6 16:14:24 CDT 2005

A little more info on WCTN's tower failure reported by Mark Bulla from
DCRTV.COM.

This is simply a copy of a mesaage I sent to another person on this
list:
--------------------------------
There are stories and too-fuzzy-to-read pictures reporting that WCTN
950 Potomac-Cabin John lost a tower Friday night. I was in Potomac
over the weekend and there were some signs that there had been strong
wind during that night's thunderstorm.

WCTN is on a county-owned public golf course.  They have a CP to
replace one tower since the county wants to improve / change a dam
too close to a present tower.  I wonder whether the lost tower just
happens to be the one that will be replaced ;-)  Insurance money would
help.  I could understand divine intervention back when they were a
religious station, but they are now hispanic.

The new tower is proposed to be self-supporting with a substantial top
hat.   The two old towers are / were guyed with the guys being used at
a top hat.

bob c.