[BC] How the KOB decision affected WABC

PeterH5322@aol.com PeterH5322
Wed Jul 6 13:17:46 CDT 2005

>Very interesting material.   Where does the old KXA Seattle fit into all of
>this.   They were daytime on 770 for years while the KOB case was being
>settled.

As with most historical stations operating on clears, KXA was "L-WABC",
meaning it could operate at night whenever the Class I-A did not.

Other west coast limited were 750 in Portland, 1100 in Seattle and 1020
in Los Angeles.

There were east coast equivalents, of course, although there is now only
one ex-Class I-A on the west coast ... was two, if you count KNX's
de-facto Class I-A operation on 1050, pre-NARBA; was three, if you also
count KNBR's de-facto Class I-A operation, before two NBC de-facto Class
I-A stations were broken down to allow stations to be constructed in
Boston ... only two in the seven western states, and four in the
southwestern states (640, 820, 1160 and 1200).

Incredibly, seven of the ten largest U.S. cities are now in the
southwestern Unites States, and only two of these have Class I-A stations
(Los Angeles and San Antonio), and two have no Class A stations at all
(Houston and Phoenix).