[BC] To Hz or not to Hz? (WAS:WLW--500 kW?)

Hershberger, Dave DHershberger
Wed Jul 6 10:55:26 CDT 2005

> Curious... why deny credit to Heinrich Hertz, who discovered
> these "Hertzian
> Waves", by not using his name as the designator for
> frequency? It's considered
> standard nomenclature. Why the "rebellion"?
>
> Willie...

Many years ago I read a delightful tongue-in-cheek essay about the
megahertz/megacycle controversy. The author suggested that since Hertz
basically abandoned his research on wireless after discovering the
phenomenon, that the honor should instead go to Charles Proteus Steinmetz, a
brilliant electrical engineer who worked with AC systems. The suggested
abbreviation for the unit of frequency would be "CPS," Steinmetz's initials.
A megacycle would be a MCPS, a kilocycle a KCPS, etc.

I am glad to see that John V. is honoring Steinmetz in this way. :)

Dave Hershberger
Principal Engineer
AXCERA
Tel: 530-272-HDTV (4388)
Fax: 530-272-4505
dhershberger at axcera.com <mailto:dhershberger at axcera.com>
AXCERA. Axcessing the new era of digital communications. www.axcera.com
960 McCourtney Road, Suite C, Grass Valley, CA 95949-7423