[BC] Another great viewer

Phil Alexander dynotherm
Wed Jul 6 09:13:33 CDT 2005

On 6 Jul 2005 at 5:48, Barry Mishkind wrote:

> This one will kill your day!  <g>
>

> http://ct.enews.pcmag.com/rd/cts?d=184-1886-1-53-414375-211238-0-0-0-1

The free version looks like a neat toy. The problem I have with Google
Maps in general is the the KH "satellite" stuff doesn't correspond 1:1
with the "maps" version and there is no easy way that I've found to
do geo coordinates. For $400, these problems would probably go away
and the 3-D presentation would be nice to show clients, but for real
work I still find Delorme and TerraServer very valuable tools with
high accuracy. Delorme I can carry and TerraServer only needs a POTS
DU connection. Broadband is not always available in the field.

Google is a good service. It's photo maps are more recent in most
cases than TerraServer, and color can be helpful, but simple 2D
TerraServer seems to have the edge for accuracy in free maps.

Phil Alexander, CSRE, AMD
(a Div. of Advanced Parts Corporation)
Ph. (317) 335-2065   FAX (317) 335-9037