[BC] Pirates...Aaarghh!

Paul Christensen attorney
Wed Jul 6 07:08:28 CDT 2005

> Florida, lead by the FAB, Has so far been able to put it into the
> jurisdiction of the state. The FDLE has put together a task force in south
> Florida to work on these pirate stations.

The main issue I have with F.S. 877.27 is that the statute creates a
strict-liability crime -- with or without the intent to interfere.  Most
crimes require the intersection of intent with an act.   The statute
reasonably protects licensed services, but a Citizen's Band user who
unintentionally causes any level of interference to a car radio while
stopped at an intersection, is strictly guilty of a third-degree felony in
the State of Florida.    Like many statutes, this one could have been
drafted better and with little additional effort.  The statute was meant to
crack down on pirate stations, but non-licensed services recognized under
the Communications Act can become collateral victims.

Regarding the legality of the statute in the context of federal
preemption -- I really do not see much there that isn't already mirrored by
the Communications Act.  The reality is that a person who causes
interference affected by the statute could be haled into court on both the
federal and state law claims.  What's a defendant to use as a defense?  That
the state law is pre-empted by federal law which already limits intentional
and unintentional interference?  If the complaint refers to both relevant
sections of state and federal law, penalties under the federal law will
apply anyway - but will certainly be less punitive than the state's
third-degree felony.

Moreover, if Congress or the FCC (under Congress' intent to delegate a
federal enforcement issue) defers its right to the states as Alan seems to
point out, there is essentially no preemption controversy to raise as a
defense.

-Paul

Paul Christensen, CPBE
LAW OFFICE OF PAUL B. CHRISTENSEN, P.A.
3749 Southern Hills,  Jacksonville, Florida 32225
Office: (904) 379-7802   Facsimile: (904) 212-0050
pchristensen at ieee.org