[BC] Pirates...Aaarghh!

Keith Hammond monsterfm
Tue Jul 5 22:12:35 CDT 2005

Bruce Doerle said:

> Paul,
>
> I don't agree.  The Florida law does not usurp the federal
> but parallels the law.  There is nothing to prevent the FCC
> from enforcing the Communications Act.  Nor does the law
> contridict the fedaral laws or regulations.  If it did, you
> might have a point.  But there are many cases where the state
> and feds have laws that coexist nicely and allows for federal
> or state procescution or both.

  But, I'd hate to be the poor (licensed) amateur operator who just
happens to fire up his 2kw. Rig at the wrong time and finds cops beating
in his door shortly after the little old lady from next door reports
that a strange voice is coming from the heating elements in her electric
blanket...

  True, this is an attempt at humor but, has anyone taken this
possibility into consideration? I can see MANY potential avenues leading
toward potential abuse of power (or pure ignorance) on this matter! It's
downright scary! Especially when a legal operator could potentially be
arrested due to simply living near a faulty receiver. (Do you REALLY
think the local detective squad can determine the difference in a
"clean" or "dirty" transmitter and/or a poorly designed receiver that is
prone to intermod and signal overload? Give me a break!

Keith Hammond

KBKH-FM (Shamrock, Texas) - Looking to buy a Pizza Hut to support the
station!

(806) 256-1221