[BC] WLW--when it was 500 kW

PeterH5322@aol.com PeterH5322
Tue Jul 5 18:27:16 CDT 2005

> Meanwhile, though, we have this from Randy Michaels, who recalls that
> there were two towers, one west of the current tower, the other south,
> behind what's now a shopping center on 22:
>
> "I don't think the towers were passive. There were two shorter (90
> degree, I think) towers that were part of the DA. I have an original
> copy of the tune-up study and can check. That array was the first array
> designed for pertinent vertical angle suppression.

SOP for vertical angle suppression is the electrically tallest towers
bear towards the station to be protected by such suppression.

KSTP uses three towers in-line array (one is top-loaded, two are equal
physical height), with the electrical heights decreasing away from WTOP
(184.0 + 32.5 = 216.5 degrees; 184.0 + 0.0 = 184.0 degrees; 160.0 + 0.0 =
160.0 degrees).

Ditto for the old KRLA four tower in-line array (none were top-loaded),
with the electrical heghts decreasing away from KFAB (180 degrees; 135
degrees; 135 degrees; 90 degrees).