[BC] WLW--when it was 500 kW

Scott Fybush scott
Tue Jul 5 15:16:27 CDT 2005

At 02:59 PM 7/5/2005 -0500, you wrote:

>Hmmmm. That would seem to put it out somewhere around the WLWO "farm"
>(a/k/a Bethany but I knew it as WLWO first). John has been around here
>today. Comments John?

I'm not John, but...

Bethany/WLWO is west of Mason/WLW, as I recall.

Meanwhile, though, we have this from Randy Michaels, who recalls that there
were two towers, one west of the current tower, the other south, behind
what's now a shopping center on 22:

"I don't think the towers were passive. There were two shorter (90
degree, I think) towers that were part of the DA. I have an original
copy of the tune-up study and can check. That array was the first array
designed for pertinent vertical angle suppression. It controlled skywave
towards Toronto, while maintaining ground wave. WLW had a monitoring
station at Niagara Falls for over a year. Measurement showed that when
the DA was switched in, the signal level dropped to 31% of its ND value
at Niagara Falls, which is the same as dropping power to 50kw from 500
kW. The signal level in Columbus did not change. We kept one of the
towers as an aux until 1985."

He's looking for some paperwork that he thinks he still has from the
original tower design. Stay tuned.