[BC] Satellite Radio

David Gleason david
Tue Jul 5 14:05:47 CDT 2005

Marketing does not obey city limits. When P&G or McDonalds or Budweiser talk
about the "Phoenix Market" they generally mean the Metropolitan statistical
Area, not the city of Phoenix.  Radio, which is part of the marketing
process, uses the defined metros, not cities, to do ratings, selling and
programming. As such, Phoenix is the 15th market, not the 5th... and the
median household income is no better than comparable cities.

iBiquity has made the IBOC station level roll-out market based. This is
because the top 10 MSA's have over 25% of the US population, and represent
the best opportunity to start with.

Receivers have always been a second step after creating content. The
receivers are coming in the next year or so, and that gives stations time to
get on board in significant numbers.

The cost of generating the HD signal in large markets is so small it will
not be noticed in station budgets... another reason why the larger markets
go first.

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Kevin R. in Gilbert,
AZ
Sent: Tuesday, July 05, 2005 8:00 AM
To: Broadcast <broadcast at radiolists.net>
Subject: [BC] Satellite Radio

> Phoenix is not even a top 10 market (it's #15 as an MSA) and HD is rolling
> out first in the larger markets. The drive right now is to get stations
> going, then introduce receivers, a couple of dozen or so of which are in
the
> pipelines to the channels.

Dave,

Its the 5th biggest city in the US. Its a consumer rich area. There are NO
IBAC radios. I would buy one if I could find one. You would think there
would be something out there other than a car radio that costs over $500
that you have to get through the internet. If I am spending that money, I
want to hear what I am buying.

I would love to have a portable but reading this...

http://www.billboardradiomonitor.com/radiomonitor/news/business/digital/arti
cle_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000971155

"Right now we could probably make a portable HD radio but it would take a
car battery to make it work."

Makes me believe it will be a long time before IBAC makes it big. Hope the
stations in IBAC have deep pockets to keep sending out a signal to no one
other than a station owner, GM or Eng who has one.

Kevin