[BC] electronic shops

WFIFeng@aol.com WFIFeng
Tue Jul 5 09:29:26 CDT 2005

In a message dated 07/05/2005 01:14:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dpuopolo at usa.net writes:

> The Radio Shack "27" board (as it was called; parts' SKU's always begin with
>  270) had a minimum 300% markup.

Over 18 years ago, I worked for Radio Shack for a bit, and the markup ranged
from 200% to 500%. I kid you not. It was right there in black & white, on the
monthly inventory/order sheets. The first time I saw one, I nearly fell over!

I also miss those 100-pack resistors, caps, etc. They still have a few, but
they are harder to find.

I am thankful for DigKey, Mouser, etc. but nothing beats browsing the parts
wall, getting new ideas for projects just by looking at the parts! I miss those
days! (It was also very convenient when an emergency repair took only an hour
or so when you could get the parts at the local Shack.)

Willie...