[BC] WLW--when it was 500 kW

Richard Fry rfry
Tue Jul 5 08:20:46 CDT 2005

Paul Smith wrote:
>WWJ is one powerful station.  I hear it day and nite in Cheboygan which
>is at the tip of the Michigan peninsula.  WXYT 1270 has a similar signal.
>Dwarfs poor WJR.

But probably WJR still has more pop count in their daytime and
primary/secondary nighttime coverage areas than either WXYT or WWJ.  WJR
carries quite well on a car radio to beyond Pittsburgh in the daytime, and
has a good signal over a lot of those big Ohio cities -- also Ft Wayne IN
and in Ontario.   WWJ and WXYT don't do so well in those directions.

WJR once had an app with the FCC for 500 kW directional.  The coverage would
still have been quite omni-- just pulling in to 50 kW ERP over a sector that
would maintain their 2nd adjacent performance against CBL.

RF (ex-WJR, 1960s)