[BC] (no subject)

David Joseph w7amx
Mon Jul 4 21:56:38 CDT 2005

One place thats been around since the mid-60's is HSC Electronic Supply
(aka: Halted Specialties).  I worked for them for a number of years...guess
its the packrat in me that kept me around. <g> (still put in a few hours in
their test lab for them).  I found some unused Intel 4004 CPU chips not too
long ago.  Although its dwindling, they still stock 2 and 3 watt carbon
resistors and a fair assortment of 100WVDC+ caps.  Also plenty of thru-hole
ICs.  Most broadcast engineers in the Bay Area know about HSC, or simply
'Halted'(started by two guys...you guessed it, Hal and Ted)  Hal just passed
away last month. He was W6YJL...a great guy and a shrewd business man.  He
used to call me when I worked there and, with his big booming voice would
say...Hi Dave...hows DX?"  Its another one of those places that you can
spend days just browsing and find almost anything electronic.  Don't know
how many times I've heard from one of the asiles..."hey, look at this...I
helped engineer the design on these...ha!".  They are distributors for lots
of needed supplies (ty wraps, Chemtronics stuff, network cable/connectors,
tools...etc).

Dave Joseph, CBRE CBNT
W7AMX

------Original Message------
Message: 1
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2005 23:45:06 -0500
From: "CBoone" <CBoone at earthlink.net>
Subject: RE: [BC] electronic shops

Amateur radio numbers are not dwindling...the ranks of licensed ham radio
ops is actually growing (though the QUALITY of them is questionable)..

With modern equipment using SMD, HOW are you going to repair/replace such?
You DON'T..its all throwaway today..So why should manufacturers sell in
small quantities ICs such as 4000 series CMOS, etc in DIP sizes to small
stores? Its all ab out the economics......most stores that are still open
that sell such do it in large cities (Houston still has EPO and ACE but
that's it..City Electronics and Gateway are gone)

Chris
WB5ITT