[BC] XM only wishes it could get numbers like this!

Rich Wood richwood
Mon Jul 4 12:48:53 CDT 2005

------ At 07:38 AM 7/4/2005, charles adkins wrote: -------

>A very smart post. You can't compare XM with podcasting in any way. Radio is
>feeling a LOT of heat right now. If it weren't, there would be no need for
>us to pay attention to any of this other stuff. It will be interesting to
>see what a major player move like Stern going over to the other side will
>cause once it really happens.

No. A good broadcaster pays attention to everything around him or her.
Everything is competition. Stern isn't going to have nearly the audience he
had on radio. His leaving is more a ratings and revenue loss for radio than
any serious gain for SIRIUS. The installed base of receivers simply isn't
there. With radio, everyone within range of an affiliate can receive him on
virtually every receiver they own. Not true for many, many, many years with
satellite.

Smart broadcasters don't react to the competition's hype. Either satellite
or Podcasting. At some point, each of them has to figure a way to make it
pay. How many web sites do you pay for? They've been around a long time.
How many Podcasts will you be willing to pay for?

I wonder where the overall price point is when people stop increasing their
costs and start canceling one service to pay for another. Cell service took
care of quick churn by charging a $150+ cancellation fee. Cable is still
burdened with churn, especially since you can activate and deactivate tiers
by phone. No more need to wait for the cable guy.

Rich

Rich Wood
Rich Wood Multimedia
Phone: 413-303-9084