[BC] AM Protection

David Gleason david
Mon Jul 4 11:56:16 CDT 2005

Several articles in my '35 and '36 Broadcasting Magazines address this. The
idea was to reduce clears to 16 to 20 and raise to 750 kw.

-----Original Message-----
From: broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net
[mailto:broadcast-bounces at radiolists.net] On Behalf Of Scott Fybush
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2005 8:44 AM
To: Broadcast Radio Mailing List
Subject: Re: [BC] AM Protection

>Also think it is interesting that KDKA doesn't seem to be jumping on the
>IBOC bandwagon while other Infinity AM's have. CFRB maybe?

WBZ!

Mark Durenberger no doubt knows more about this than I do, but back in the
60s-70s when there was talk of allowing the I-A clears to go to 750 kW,
Westinghouse acknowledged that there was no way that KDKA and WBZ could
co-exist with 750 kW each at night. They were prepared even then to keep
KDKA at 50 kW and allow WBZ to get the big juice (with a proposal to put
the transmitter in Provincetown, at the tip of Cape Cod!), accepting
whatever interference was received to KDKA.

The present situation is eerily similar.