[BC] EAS and War of the Worlds

Fred Gleason fredg
Sun Jul 3 21:33:55 CDT 2005

I just got back from seeing Steven Spielberg's new movie 'War of the Worlds'.
(Terrific film, BTW.  Despite moving the setting of the story to a different
continent and 100 years later, Spielburg has done a marvelous job of
capturing the tone and style of the original H.G. Wells SciFi masterpiece).

At any rate, there is a scene in the movie where a family group is fleeing New
York City (by then in flames) in a minivan, and suddenly one hears over the
car radio -- you got it -- EAS tones!  So I'm waiting for some doomsday
announcement, when what I hear is:  'This is a test of the Emergency Alert
System...'.  The scene is otherwise a fairly intense one, so I'm sure there
were some curious glances when I let out an involuntary chuckle.

Automation systems -- gotta love 'em...  :)

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|    Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's     |
|    supposed to do.                                                      |
|                                         -- Robert A. Heinlein           |