[BC] Where old TVs go...

Fred Gleason fredg
Fri Jul 1 07:47:50 CDT 2005

On Thursday 30 June 2005 11:31, Jerry Mathis wrote:
> 1. TV's were more costly back then, and worth repairing. If it broke down,
> it usually ended up at a repair shop. If it was decided not to fix it, the
> TV shop junked it.

And 'junking' it *didn't* mean just throwing it out.  I can remember helping
my Dad do this as a kid.  Power xformers, tubes, pots -- there was a
veritable king's ransom of useable parts in there!  We'd even save the AC
power cords for subsequent reuse.  These were the old metallic chassis with
'point-to-point' wiring on terminal strips.  Later, when the manufacturers
starting going to printed wiring (early 70s?), the yield of salvageable parts
dropped sharply.  Today, of course, the power cord is about the only thing
that still is reusable.  Ah, the glory days of hardware!  These days, all the
fun lives on the *software* side.  :)

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Director of Broadcast Software Development  |
|                           |             Salem Radio Labs                |
|               Machines should work.  People should think.               |
|                                           -- IBM Pollyanna Principle    |