[AF] 40 years

RichardBJohnson at comcast.net RichardBJohnson at comcast.net
Mon Jul 20 18:04:07 CDT 2009

Today is the 40th anniversary of Apollo 11. Neil Armstrong walked on
the moon and said, "That's one small step for man; one giant leap for
mankind." This started the first recorded "conspiracy theories" that
pervade the Internet and social networking sites nowadays. "It was
all done in a movie studio," some claim even today.

I was 26 years of age in 1969, Lyndon Johnson had said "I shall not
seek, nor shall I accept..." He was replaced in January by Richard
(tricky Dick) Nixon, the 37th President of the US.

To this day, many who lived through it and many who have only heard
the stories and seen the pictures, will argue that this was the most
historic summer in American history.

On July 18, 1969, Ted Kennedy drove a car off a bridge in Martha's
Vineyard and a young female passenger, Mary Jo Kopechne, died.

In August of that summer, roughly 100,000 descended upon Woodstock
for a muddy three-day music festival that highlighted the best-known
acts of the day, including Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and The Who.

The Beatles also made their last public appearance before splitting
up and Michael Jackson was also a rising star at the age of 10 that summer.

The summer of '69 started the "Age of Aquarius," although  Hair
released two years earlier, opened with that song. There were riots
in the streets including the now famous "Stonewall Riots." It was an
interesting year.

More here:

http://www.answers.com/topic/1969

Cheers,